This site provides instructions for GEOS-Chem Classic, the single-node mode of operation of the GEOS-Chem model. We provide instruction for downloading and compiling GEOS-Chem Classic, plus its required software libraries.
If you would like to run GEOS-Chem on more than one node of a computing system, consider using GEOS-Chem High Performance (GCHP).
GEOS-Chem is a global 3-D model of atmospheric composition driven by assimilated meteorological observations from the Goddard Earth Observing System (GEOS) of the NASA Global Modeling and Assimilation Office. It is applied by research groups around the world to a wide range of atmospheric composition problems.
Cloning and building from source code ensures you will have direct access to the latest available versions of GEOS-Chem Classic, provides additional compile-time options, and allows you to make your own modifications to GEOS-Chem Classic source code.
- Key references
- Meet all hardware requirements
- Meet all software requirements
- Customize your login environment
- Download source code
- Create a run directory
- Compile the source code
- Configure your simulation
- Download input data
- Run your simulation
- View output files
- Diagnostics reference
- GEOS-Chem Classic folder tree
- Sample GEOS-Chem run scripts
- Load required libraries
- Build libraries with Spack
- Debug GEOS-Chem and HEMCO errors
- Manage a data archive with bashdatacatalog
- Work with netCDF files
- Prepare COARDS-compliant netCDF files
- View GEOS-Chem species properties
- Update chemical mechanisms with KPP
- View related documentation